[Classifieds] [classifieds] Butterfly Count July 19, Falmouth

MBL Classifieds classifieds at lists.mbl.edu
Wed Jul 15 16:12:31 EDT 2009

The " 4th of July" butterfly counts are under way.

Sunday, July 19 is the Falmouth County. We need participants to hellp us count, so please come to the Crane Wildlife Management Area on Rte 151.

Below are the directions and schedules of three counts. All are welcome, beginners or experts.

Alison Robb

Nature's Circle

(Box 186, Woods Hole, MA 02543

http://vsb.cape.com/~nature

nature at cape.com

Alison Robb 508-564-4331)

Press Release

July Butterfly Count

Since 1975 the annual butterfly count has been held in the U.S., and now in Canada and Mexico as well. Each count area is a circle 15 miles in diameter and the count is a one-day census of all butterflies observed within that circle.

The count promotes interest in butterflies, and provides results useful to scientists who are monitoring butterfly populations and habitats. An official report is available in the Spring of the following year. Everyone is encouraged to participate either as a member of the group that visits sites selected by the count leaderor as an observer in their own garden.

This year we hope more volunteers will join us. The number of butterflies counted has decreased each year since then. The sites we will visit are the same sites we visited in past years, so that a comparison can be made. There are many reasons for population changes; weather, insecticide use, and habitat decrease or increase.

Knowledgeable butterfliers are needed on the count, and others who want to have the experience to get started are also welcome. We do important work, and we also have a good time out among the wildflowers. Anyone who would like to join us by treking with the group or by counting in their own garden should call to sign up. Do join us. You should wear long pants and socks, bring water and lunch or a snack. Alison Robb, 508-564-4331, nature at cape.com .

4TH JULY BUTTERFLY COUNTS ON THE CAPE, 2009.

TRURO. July 6, 2009, Monday, (July 7, rain date) . 9:00 am. Truro.
Tor Hansen, leader, 508-648-1515, Alison Robb, co-leader, 508-564-4331, nature at cape.com Please register ahead of time if possible. We shall visit several sites in Truro and Provincetown.
Directions: North Truro. Rte 6, Highland Light exit. Go east on Highland Rd. Meet at the first parking lot for Highland Light.

FALMOUTH. July 19, 2009, 9 :30 am to 3:00pm. Falmouth. Alison Robb, leader.
508-564-4331. nature at cape.com . Tor Hansen, co-leader. Please register ahead of time if possible.
Directions Crane WMA, Rte. 151, Falmouth. Turn north between the baseball field and the Nickelodeon theater. Go to the farthest parking area.

BREWSTER. July 25, 2009, Saturday, (July 26, rain date). 9:00 am to 3 pm.. Brewster, for the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History. We shall visit sites in Brewster and Harwich.
Alison Robb, leader; Please register with Alison Robb, 508-564-4331 or nature at cape.com . Directions: Take Exit 9B off Rte 6 and follow Rte 134 North to Rte 6A, then turn right and follow 6A to The Museum, on the left at # 869 Rte. 6A, Brewster.

BARNSTABLE. August 1, 2009, Saturday, (August 2, rain date), 9:00 am to 3 pm.
Barnstable, for the Audubon Long Pasture Wildlife Sanctuary.
Alison Robb, leader; Ian Ives, co-leader. Please register if possible. iives at audubon.org .
Directions: From Rte. 6, Cape Cod, take exit 7 north toward Yarmouth Port, going one mile north on Willow Street, Go left 1 mile west on 6A, and right on Bone Hill Rd. Go 1/3 mile north on Bone Hill Rd (until you can see the ocean) then take your next left to the Audubon Long Pasture headquarters.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and
contains confidential and privileged material for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or
disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately
by email and delete the message and any file attachments from
your computer.</font>