[Classifieds] [classifieds] Tomato Plants for Sale

MBL Classifieds classifieds at lists.mbl.edu
Wed May 16 09:33:08 EDT 2012

From: "Emily Reddington" <ereddington at mbl.edu>

It is almost Memorial Day, do you have your tomato plants yet? We have 8 varieties of island-grown tomato plants for sale. The descriptions below are from High Mowing and Johnny’s Websites. All of the organic seeds are from High Mowing and the Sun Golds are from Johnny’s. All plants are in 4-inch pots and have been hardened off. Plants are $4 each. We will be delivering tomato orders Friday 5/25 to the MBL. Please let me know which varieties you would like by Wednesday 5/23. Quantities are limited for some varieties, so first come, first serve.

Organic Brandywine Tomato - HEIRLOOM Big and beautiful! This classic variety was one of the first to bring recognition to the heirloom label. Known for its perfect balance of sugars and flavor. Dark pinkish-red flesh is smooth and juicy, so make sure to have a napkin handy! Fruits are very large, weighing 1 lb or more. Pick just before ripe to avoid cracking. Potato-leaf variety. Indeterminate( Lycopersicon esculentum )

Organic Prudens Purple Tomato - HEIRLOOM Rivals Brandywine as the best-flavored heirloom tomato and boasts a devoted fan club. Pruden’s is not really purple, but rather a deep pink with slight shoulder ribbing. Fruits are large, often close to 1 lb each, but smaller than Brandywine, with a silky texture. Plants have potato shaped leaves. Indeterminate( Lycopersicon esculentum )

Organic Gilbertie Paste Tomato - HEIRLOOM This long-time favorite is requested by customers year after year! Long, slender shape with characteristically green shoulders and a slight crook in the neck. Narrow fruits are on average 7” long and 10-12 oz. Flesh is very solid, with a beloved rich flavor that makes excellent sauces and soups. Very small seed cavity. One of the varieties we’ve carried since 1996, when High Mowing began as Tom’s hobby. Indeterminate( Lycopersicon esculentum )

Organic Jaune Flamme Tomato - HEIRLOOM A zingy little French heirloom that will burn a torch in your heart after just one bite. Tomatoes are all about flavor and this one has a unique fruity flavor that we loved in our trials. Plants are very productive with multitudes of apricot shaped tomatoes hanging in neat clusters. Fruits average 2-3 oz each and are 1.5-2” round. A terrific salad tomato that is also great for sauces and for drying. A standout in our trials and hopefully for you too. Indeterminate ( Lycopersicon esculentum )

Organic Moskvich Tomato - HEIRLOOM High quality, early-season heirloom tomato that rivals the hybrids. Excellent producer of 4-6 oz red tomatoes in just 60 days. Fruits are round to slightly flattened with a deep red color and luscious, rich flavor. Great eaten fresh or for processing. Highly resistant to cracking, making it a great pick for the greenhouse too. Like all Russians, Moskovich can stand up to cool conditions. Semi-determinate( Lycopersicon esculentum )

Organic Green Zebra Tomato - Succulent, sweet and zingy. Medium-sized, 4-5 oz fruits start out pale green with dark green stripes that soften and turn yellow when ripe. Perfect exteriors; fruits hold up under adverse conditions and rarely crack. Grows well in the greenhouse, too! Indeterminate( Lycopersicon esculentum )

Organic Matt's Wild Cherry Tomato - We’re wild about Matt’s Wild and you will be too! Deep red cherries are smaller than average with an exceptional flavor many consider the best. Matt’s keeps producing copious quantities when every other tomato in the field is down for the count with early blight. Pick frequently as skin is thin and cracks easily. Shows moderate field tolerance to Late Blight. Up to 1/4oz fruit. Indeterminate( Lycopersicon esculentum )

Sun Gold (F1)(Solanum lycopersicum)

Intense fruity flavor. Exceptionally sweet, bright tangerine-orange cherry tomatoes leave customers begging for more. Vigorous plants start yielding early and bear right through the season. Tendency to split precludes shipping, making these an exclusively fresh-market treat. The taste can't be beat. Indeterminate.
--

Emily Reddington
Research Assistant II
Email: ereddington at mbl.edu