[Classifieds] [classifieds] PEANUT BUTTER CLUB AT WOODS HOLE OCEANOGRAPHIC INSTUTION ON JUNE 10 AT NOON

MBL Classifieds classifieds at lists.mbl.edu
Mon Jun 6 15:04:27 EDT 2016

----- Forwarded Message -----

From: "Joanne Tromp" <jtromp at whoi.edu>

PEANUT BUTTER CLUB : Presents Camrin Braun, PhD student in the WHOI Joint Program. Camrin will be discussing his new ProjectWHOI crowdfunding campaign “ The Secret Lives of Sharks” on Friday, June 10, at noon, in Redfield Auditorium, 45 Water St., Woods Hole. Think about top predators in the ocean. Something at the apex of the food chain, that swims wherever it wants and truly rules the sea. What comes to mind? Most people would answer sharks . Maybe even great white sharks. Yet if we boil down every piece of information that scientists understand about the iconic great white shark it would comprise only a few short sentences describing how white sharks move (in some places), a few ideas about what they might eat (in some places), and where they might have nursery habitat for their young (you guessed it, only in some places). That is all we know about the world-renowned great white shark. We have no generalizable knowledge about what they eat or their feeding behaviors, no knowledge of where they go to mate or to breed, and absolutely no answers to “why” they do almost anything. How do they navigate? Which habitats do they use, when and why? Does their diet change as they get older/bigger? The list of questions goes on and on. And remember this is the state of the art for great white sharks , a name that almost anyone recognizes. Our lack of knowledge is far more profound for almost all other shark species. We seek to deploy cutting-edge, satellite-based tags on sharks in our backyard on Cape Cod to see where they go and to figure out why. Essentially, we're tracking sharks in our local waters from space! Are they staying close to home where we can closely monitor and protect them? Or are they wandering the high seas, encountering thousands (or even millions?) of hooks from foreign fishing vessels, and ending up in the Hong Kong market as a stack of dried fins? For more information, visit http://give.whoi.edu/site/PageServer?pagename=project_WHOI_landing_page . Sponsored by the Information Office. Coffee, tea, and cookies served. Donations accepted.