[Classifieds] Microaggression Workshop on 2/16 at 7pm

MBL Classifieds classifieds at lists.mbl.edu
Tue Feb 2 12:12:38 EST 2021

No Place for Hate - Falmouth and Barnstable No Place for Hate Co-Host a Community Workshop on Microaggression, Facilitated by Dr. Seyana Mawusi
Tuesday, February 16, 7-8pm on Zoom
Register at www.npfhfalmouth.org<http://www.npfhfalmouth.org> or at tinyurl.com/e2swb6sl
No Place for Hate (NPFH) - Falmouth and Barnstable No Place for Hate (BNPFH) invite everyone in the community to a workshop on microaggression led by Dr. Seyana Mawusi. This free event will take place virtually on Zoom on Tuesday, February 16  from 7:00 – 8:00 P.M. Pre-registration is required. After you register you will receive Zoom login information. Advance registration is required and available at www.npfhfalmouth.org<http://www.npfhfalmouth.org> or https://tinyurl.com/e2swb6sl.

Heightened awareness of structural racism has us considering our part in furthering it or combating it. In the workplace, in our families, and in our communities, we are having conversations about the instances of racism that we’ve seen or felt. As we deal with the implications of structural racism on a national level, we can also confront racism on a smaller scale - in our daily lives and communities. Microaggressions are the everyday, subtle, intentional – and sometimes unintentional - instances of racism, homophobia, sexism and other bias. They can be outright insults, and at other times veiled gestures or comments. This workshop will enable participants to define microaggression, understand why it takes place, as well as its varieties and effects, and how to align awareness with responsive actions.

Dr. Seyana Mawusi, who will lead the workshop, is an educator with extensive background in leadership development, curriculum design, mindfulness, trauma, neuroscience education, racial equity, restorative and social justice. Dr. Mawusi received her doctorate and second masters degrees at Mills College, Oakland, CA.   In Oakland and Philadelphia, She served as college professor, principal coach, elementary and middle school principal, and director and founder of Luxor Academy, an Afrocentric school for students ages 4 to 15. Dr. Mawusi founded and is CEO of Intuitive Integrative Consultants, where she coaches, consults, and intuitively guides leaders locally and internationally to reinvent, rethink and reframe their next steps to enhance their lives personally and professionally.  Her clients include school districts, human resource departments and city agencies.
To learn more about No Place for Hate – Falmouth visit its Facebook page and website – www.npfhfalmouth.org<http://www.npfhfalmouth.org>. Sign up for emails by writing to npfhfalmouth at gmail.com<mailto:npfhfalmouth at gmail.com>. Learn more about Barnstable No Place for Hate at its Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NPFHBarnstable/.