[Classifieds] AmeriCorps Positions

MBL Classifieds classifieds at lists.mbl.edu
Mon Jul 10 13:02:27 EDT 2023

[image.png]

Position Title:   Save The Bay Aquarium Americorps Education Member
Position Reports To: Aquarium Program Manager
Location: Save The Bay’s Hamilton Family Aquarium, Newport, RI
Position Description: Save The Bay is seeking four full time (1,700 hour) AmeriCorps
Members to be part of our education team at our Hamilton Family Aquarium in Newport.
This position runs from September 5, 2023-August 31, 2024.
Save The Bay’s education program is a year round environmental education program
that aims to connect students and people of all ages and abilities to Narragansett Bay
through hands-on mission based programming.  We work with 12,000 (K-12) students
annually through our school day and afterschool programming and an additional
50,000+ people through our public programs including our seal tours, lighthouse
cruises, summer camps and our Hamilton Family Aquarium in Newport (to open in Fall
2023).
Our Aquarium Education AmeriCorps Members, will be teaching marine science and
conservation concepts to Aquarium students and public guests. Members will be
responsible for developing and teaching education programs and content focused on
the Aquarium exhibits and in accordance with Save The Bay’s mission of “Protecting
and Improving Narragansett Bay.”  Instructional assignments are held in a variety of
settings including; Save The Bay’s Hamilton Family Aquarium in Newport, inside school
classrooms throughout RI, and aboard one of our Coast Guard certified education
vessels. Participants range in ages from grades K-12 students, college students and
adults.  Weekend work is necessary.
Responsibilities:
● Provide hands-on environmental education programs for school groups, camps
and the public in a variety of settings including our Aquarium, in classrooms,
coastal locations and occasionally aboard our education vessels.
● Assist with the development and implementation of school based programs in
alignment with state standards and week long day camps.
● Development and implementation of aquarium education and interpretation.
● Assisting Aquarium Program Manager with managing, training and organizing
volunteers and interns on aquarium educational programs
● Assisting with general animal husbandry, maintenance, and animal collection and
animal release.

Qualifications:
AmeriCorps Eligibility Qualifications:
● Be at least 17 years of age at the start of service
● Must have a high school diploma or its equivalent
● Must be a US citizen or lawful permanent resident/alien of the US
● Satisfy the National Service Criminal History Check
Position Qualifications
● Must enjoy working with children and people of all ages
● Knowledge and/or interest in the marine environment and conservation issues
● Must be comfortable handling live animals (small, marine and estuarine based)
● Ability to organize, prioritize and efficiently complete varied tasks
● Must be flexible and creative team member
● Ability to handle physical demands of the role including standing, sitting and
lifting
● Available to work a varied schedule including weekends
● Spanish speaking is a plus
Salary and Benefits: This is a one year assignment of 1,700 hours from September 5,
2023- August 31, 2024 with a living allowance of $30,000. Full time members are
eligible for child care allowance, student loan forbearance and health care coverage
during their service time. Upon successful completion of 1,700 hours by August 31,
2024 members will receive a Segal education award of $6,895.
To apply: Please include your resume, a short essay about why you want to spend a
year of service as a Save The Bay Aquarium Americorps Education Member and 3
references and contact information to Bridget Prescott, Director of Education:
bkubis at savebay.org<mailto:bkubis at savebay.org> .

--
Bridget Kubis Prescott (she, her, hers)
Director of Education

[https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1R1Rh8elujqBgbIwhvtiXxNEu0D1yLMRL&revid=0BxpqqIo-Wx-vTkJqUVJhZGg4QjZ4bGpnTmpsenZja0t1dGpNPQ]<https://www.savebay.org/>
100 Save The Bay Dr.<https://maps.google.com/?q=Save+The+Bay+%0D+100+Save+The+Bay+Dr.+Providence,+RI+02905&entry=gmail&source=g> | Providence, RI 02905<https://maps.google.com/?q=Save+The+Bay+%0D+100+Save+The+Bay+Dr.+Providence,+RI+02905&entry=gmail&source=g>

 [http://savebay.org] <http://savebay.org/>
 [https://www.facebook.com/savethebayri]  [https://www.instagram.com/savethebayri/] <https://www.instagram.com/savethebayri/>  [https://twitter.com/savethebayri] <https://twitter.com/savethebayri>    | SAVEBAY.ORG<http://savebay.org/>
savebaynarragansett | @savethebayri