[Classifieds] Westport River Watershed Alliance Now Hiring

MBL Classifieds classifieds at lists.mbl.edu
Thu Mar 2 12:02:25 EST 2023

Westport River Watershed Alliance
Now Hiring Summer Educators

Since its inception in 1976, the Westport River Watershed Alliance (WRWA), located in Westport, MA, has been working to (1) educate watershed residents about sound environmental practices to protect our natural resources, (2) to advocate for environmental solutions with the local, state and federal regulators who make critical decisions about our environment, and (3) to assess water quality parameters that document the condition of the river and watershed. The Westport River Watershed includes the towns of Westport, Dartmouth, Fall River, and Freetown in MA and Tiverton and Little Compton in RI.

WRWA’s mission is to work together to protect and preserve the Westport River Watershed now and for future generations. Our vision is a healthy watershed where people, wildlife and the River thrive.

Position Description

We are seeking two dedicated, energetic, and fun individuals with a passion for teaching and natural sciences to serve on the education team for the summer of 2023. In this role, you will have the opportunity to observe and assist in field trips for public schools, learn to develop lesson plans and educational materials, and eventually lead outdoor programs for 5-16 year olds during the summer watershed discovery program. Activities include seining, paddle boarding, kayaking, hiking, underwater digital photography, arts & crafts, playing games, and more. Have a summer of fun and exploration while making a difference!

Lead Environmental Educator - We have one position available. This person also serves as the waterfront supervisor for small groups of children and must be lifeguard certified or able to get their certification before they arrive. We may be able to help cover a portion of the certification fees.

Salary: $18/hr Internship credit available

Environmental Educator - We have one position available. Internship credit available
Salary:$15/hr

Both positions report to the Education Director and include 365 hours for the summer ranging from 30-35 hours per week from June 5- August 18

Responsibilities

  *   Assist education staff with school programs & field studies
  *    Plan and lead weekly lessons and activities for Summer Watershed Discovery Program with help from co-teacher and WRWA education staff
  *    Help maintain, clean and put away science and exploration equipment used during programs
  *   Represent the organization while helping with crafts at the annual River Day celebration
  *   Help maintain marine aquariums in the River Center as needed
  *   Attend weekly education meetings every Friday
  *   Assist with general administrative tasks and other projects as they arise
  *   Other responsibilities may including helping with water quality monitoring, weeding and watering pollinator gardens, running birthday parties or private programs, or assisting with other facets of day-to-day operations

Qualifications

  *    At least 18 years old
  *    Excited to share their passion for nature with children through games, activities, and adventure programs
  *    Confident leading groups of children in the outdoors near water environments
  *     Experience working with children of various ages
  *     Basic knowledge of the natural sciences and or/marine ecology or familiar with marine/coastal organisms in Massachusetts
  *    Certified in CPR, First Aid, and Lifeguarding (for lead position)
  *    Have a positive attitude and can-do spirit
  *    Are responsible and understand the importance of safety in the outdoors
  *    Have a current driver’s license
  *   Are able to commit for entire schedule from June 5 - August 18
  *   Preference given to candidates who are enrolled in college courses or who have graduated and are pursuing careers in natural science, environmental education or other teaching fields

 To Apply

Please email a cover letter, resume and 3 academic or professional references to: Kim Botelho, Education Director, at wep at wrwa.com<mailto:wep at wrwa.com>

  Or mail to:

Kim Botelho, Westport River Watershed Alliance, P.O. Box 3427, Westport, MA 02790

Deadline: Rolling, open until filled.  Must submit application by 3/31/23

Kim Botelho
Education Director
Westport River Watershed Alliance
www.westportwatershed.org<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.westportwatershed.org%2F&data=05%7C01%7CSEMCO%40whoi.edu%7Cef80fdda059e4499273e08db1b3e871a%7Cd44c5cc6d18c46cc8abd4fdf5b6e5944%7C0%7C0%7C638133728081954117%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=FQfZOWTotNNo6Ni%2BQc7Bm9pJvd0FGe%2BvTzx1o5PRhA8%3D&reserved=0>
508-636-3016 ext 1006