[Physiofaculty] TA Training for Session 2

Brzostowski, Joseph (NIH/NIAID) [E] brzostowskij at niaid.nih.gov
Tue Jun 28 16:45:56 EDT 2016

Dear Faculty and TA's for Session 2,

If you are here, we would like you to take advantage of training opportunities this week before the session begins. Generally, the students are not on the systems in the morning before noon, after 5PM this Friday (most will be preparing for the data talks) and this Saturday (talk day).

Steven Wilbert or I can help connect you with a particular manufacturer for training.  To note, Steven and I are familiar with all of the systems except the OMX, PRIMO protein printer, the Nikon STORM and Nikon SIM.

Please be aware that while the students have received training on a number of the systems over the past three weeks, they are not experts on all scopes.  If you plan to work heavily on specific systems for you section, please plan to train so that you can be prepared for your students.

Above said, the upcoming July 4th holiday complicates training.

Zeiss
Will be available for their systems all of this week through Saturday July 2.  They have very limited availability on July 4th and are back full time on the 5th.  Please note Zeiss brought a deconvolution software package that functions in ZEN and the Arivis 3D visualization and analysis software.  Both run off of the GPU and are quite fast.  The Arivis rep is here this week.

Nikon
John Allen will be here until 5PM this Wednesday June 29.  He will return Wednesday July 6.  If you are here, please schedule a time with John if the systems are open.

GE
For the Delta Vision, Amy is here through Saturday July 2.
For the OMX, we have the 5-8PM Friday July 1 open for general training.  Patrina leaves over the weekend and will be back Tuesday July 5th for more training.

Andor Spinning Disk with FRAP.
Training for this system will be on Monday, July 4 in the afternoon and on Tuesday July 5th

CREST Spinning Disk.
Please see me or Steven for training.

PRIMO Protein Printing
Aurelien will be here Tuesday July 5 to give a lunch talk, which you are welcome to attend.  He will be available for training next week (I will be back with an update here).

PHIOPTICS Quantitative Phase
Steve and I can help with this system.  Philippe will be available next week after the 4th to come over from Boston.  We will need to make arrangements upon request.

Below are the systems that we have available.

Widefield
Zeiss 1 (full course) – fully automated with incubation and autofocus

Zeiss 2 (full course) – fully automated with incubation and autofocus

Zeiss 3 (full course) – fully automated with incubation, and PhiOptics Quantitative Phase

Nikon (full course) – fully automated with incubation, autofocus and PRIMO for protein printing

GE DeltaVision (Sessions 1 – 3) – fully automated with incubation (no CO2)

GE OMX (Sessions 1 – 3) – fully automated with incubation

Spinning Disk Confocal
Nikon/Yokogawa CSUX1 (full course) – fully automated with incubation.  With 405 FRAP

CREST (Sessions 1 – 3) – partially automated with incubation spinning disk system from BioVision/89 North on an Olympus base run with MetaMorph software.  Note, this system only has a very nice 60x water lens.  Please see me or Steven for training.

Andor (Session 2 ONLY) – fully automated NO incubation.  With FRAPPA system.

TIRF
Nikon (full course) – fully automated with incubation and autofocus

GE DeltaVision (Sessions 1 – 3) – fully automated with incubation

GE OMX (Sessions 1 – 3) – fully automated with incubation, ring-TIRF version

Super-resolution
GE OMX (Sessions 1 – 3) Structured Illumination (SIM)– fully automated with incubation

Multi-well plate imaging
Incucyte (full course) – phase, green and red fluorescence.  System is housed in a standard 37°C incubator with CO2.

Microscope systems in basement of Loeb open for the MBL community.  All are available for the full course.

Zeiss
Spinning disk confocal (Yokogawa CSUX1) – fully automated with incubation with FRAP and Photoablation from Rapp Opoto.

880 with Airyscan and FAST – laser scanning confocal with super-res and fast scanning for live cell imaging. Fully automated with incubation

800 – laser scanning confocal fully automated with incubation

Widefield system with and injection apparatus.

Nikon
STORM 4 – super-resolution TIRF system.  Fully automated and will have incubation for standard TIRF experiments.  For Session 2 the system will be equipped with the CU 3D to improve 3D STORM acquisitions.

A1R+ - resonance scanning confocal system.  Fully automated with incubation and autofocus.

--
Joseph Brzostowski, Ph.D.
LIG Imaging Facility, Chief

Mobile: 240-599-6364