[PhysioStudents] rotation choices question

Wallace Marshall wallace.ucsf at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 01:14:31 EDT 2018

Dear Physiology Students,.
      I cannot believe we have literally one week till the course starts.
Hopefully you are all excited about this, we sure are!   I am writing
because one of you (Ed) had a great question about the rotation choice
process and I wanted to share the answer with everyone.  His question was,
given that the research statements contain many sub-projects, do you need
to request specific sub-projects.  the answer is no, that is taken care of
once you start the rotation, all we need to know is which groups you want
to rotate with.
     Let me explain the process of how we assign rotations.   on friday at
the end of the first week, the instructors for the first rotation block
will present their research plans.  based on this presentation plus their
written plan, plus whatever other training considerations you may be
thinking about, you will be asked to submit a ranked-order list of your
rotation preferences, i.e. if there are three instructors, rank them 1-3
with 1 the top choice and 3 the last choice.   if there are four
instructors, rank them 1-4.   you will be asked to send this information to
me via email by midnight friday.   anyone who doesn't send me their choices
by midnight will just be assigned a group on the basis of availability,
since we will assume that they don't have a strong preference.
    Often it works out that everyone gets their first choice, but not
always.  Since each group can only accommodate a limited number of
students, it sometimes happens that one or more students will not their
their first choice.  This is sometimes unavoidable, but when it happens, we
do guarantee that anyone not getting their first choice in session I will
get their first choice in session II.
     So, that's the plan, you don;'t have to send me choices now, but I
just wanted to clarify how we will do it.

      Good luck getting things squared away in the last week of normal life
for a while, and safe travels to everyone!

   best regards,
                 Wallace