[Classifieds] William Hemmerdinger at The Studio on Slough Road, July 23, 2011 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

MBL Classifieds classifieds at lists.mbl.edu
Mon Jul 18 15:56:01 EDT 2011

	SOSRlogonew

The Studio on Slough Road

75 Slough Road

Brewster on Cape Cod

www.studioonsloughroad.com
	Greetings!

The Studio on Slough Road is proud to present our second showing of the 2011 season--the recent works of William Hemmerdinger. William Hemmerdinger

combines mysticism with lyrical rhythm, symbolism with construction and layering with logistics. I became aware of his work through local Cape Cod legend Jamie Wolf. When I visited William's studio, I found his work deeply moving, layered and disturbing in a powerful way. It is extremely personal and universal at the same time. His attention to detail and his magical command of surface creates a luminosity that radiates out from the surface of the painting. His use of color to bring the viewer into a conversation is punctuated with a private vocabulary of marks and gestures that produces a déjà vu reaction in the viewer. It appears to be from some long, lost time or place one might recognize, but seems out of one's grasp. He has a message and it is spoken in a thousand tongues.

Please join us for the opening or come in at your convenience to view these brilliant works. For hours, please consult our website: www.studioonsloughroad.com

Kathleen Sidwell, Director, Studio on Slough Road.

flatironbuilding

Flatiron Building, Acrylic on canvas

"As an artist he makes the point that spirit, the will to shatter physical boundaries, remains the essence and driving force behind art." -- Michael Zakian, Ph.D., The Dialectic of Place, 1998

	goldline

Experience the magic and depth of William Hemmerdingers' images!

Join us for the opening reception

Saturday, July 23, 6 to 9 pm

Show runs through Aug 14

See our website for directions .

redline

edelweiss

Edelweiss and Swiss Money, Acrylic on canvas

The pigments are "floated" on and applied in a series of coats ranging from water-heavy first layers, to syrup-like emulsions, and followed by layerings of paste-consistency flourishes. The pasty imprimatur strokes are usually for bringing out detail tightening the composition with "brights," and capping it off. The paintings are created in both a vertical easel position and on a horizontal table top, which changes the angle of the blow depending on the consistency of the pigment. William Hemmerdinger.

blueline

	wmhemmerdinger2Begun in 1967, the artistic career of William Hemmerdinger is distinguished by near forty years of production in a variety of styles and materials. His paintings are in the collections of the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, Mobil Oil Corporation, New York and the Federal Reserve Bank, San Francisco. His prints and handmade books are in the permanent collections of Via Novelli, Italy, Barbara Hepworth Museum, England, National Library of Canada and the Art Institute of Chicago. Paintings, sculpture, collage, assemblage, prints and handmade books have been exhibited at the National Academy of Design; American Watercolor Society, New York, California National Water Color Society, Los Angeles, Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, Museum of Modern Art, Seoul, Korea, the Olympic Arts Festivals, (Los Angeles and Seoul) and galleries in New York, London, Paris, Munich, Tokyo, Seoul and New Delhi. The artist has completed mural commissions and architectural collaborations for the Shelburne Hotel, New York, Plaza 50 Hotel, New York, Hilton Hotel, Pasadena and the Le Merigot, Santa Monica. His stone and bronze sculptural and environmental designs have been included in A.I.A., A.S.I.D. and A.S.L.A. award-winning projects.

William Hemmerdinger at Gravity Press, 2011
	blueline

	SSR logoT he Studio on Slough Road is a unique contemporary salon gallery showing c ontemporary art for new and seasoned collectors alike. Located in the woods of Brewster on Cape Cod, the post and beam wooden cottage is the site of exciting and timely art openings during the summer season. In the winter is becomes an active studio for Kathleen Sidwell and other contemporary artists, creating experimental prints and paintings. We open for special visits for tourists interested in contemporary art. Our web addresses are www.studioonsloughroad.com and www.kathleensidwell.com

Thanks to John CiraCira for the use of his sculpture in our gallery logo photo.

The Studio on Slough Road / 75 Slough Rd. / Brewster, Massachusetts 02631 /