[Classifieds] [classifieds] Organic Gardening: Grow your own!

MBL Classifieds classifieds at lists.mbl.edu
Tue Mar 29 16:18:45 EDT 2011

From: "Deborah Scanlon" <dscanlon at mbl.edu>

Organic Gardening: Grow Your Own!

Waquoit Bay Reserve continues its monthly first Tuesdays forums at the Visitor Center on April 5 at 7:00 pm with “Organic Gardening: Grow Your Own!”. Local Farmer Stan Ingram will teach participants about the process of growing their own food from soils and seeds, working with the season’s challenges of weather, diseases, and insects, right through to a healthy harvest. He’ll also explain how Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) can bring fresh organic produce straight from the farm to the consumer’s table. Stan will also bring some of his own sample seeds to share with participants. People are encouraged to come fifteen minutes early to sample locally grown, organic snacks and to view visitor center exhibits.

Stan Ingram is the farm manager at Coonamessett Farm in Hatchville. He grew up working on truck farms in Southeast Massachusetts, was the Garden Manager at New Alchemy Institute in the 1980s, and later moved to Maine for a few years to grow his own food before moving back to Falmouth to start the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program at Coonamessett Farm.

This program is part of the series: “Reduce Your Nitrogen Footprint: First Tuesdays at Waquoit Bay Reserve Visitor Center”. Each month features a different action community members can do that can help to preserve our coastal waters for ourselves and our children. Too much nitrogen entering our water results in polluted coastal bays by fertilizing the seaweed which chokes out the native grasses, an important habitat for the fish and shell fish we eat.

The program is free and open to all. Reasonable accommodations (including sign language or Portuguese interpreter) are available upon request. Registration is appreciated but not required. For more information and a downloadable complete schedule of the monthly forums as well as on-line registration, please go to www.waquoitbayreserve.org . You can also call 508-457-0495 x107 for further questions or suggestions.

--
Deborah G. Scanlon
Communications and Projects Coordinator