[Classifieds] [classifieds] Woods Hole folk concert Sunday, Feb. 28

MBL Classifieds classifieds at lists.mbl.edu
Thu Feb 25 13:07:07 EST 2016

----- Original Message -----

From: "Margaret Sulanowska" <msulanowska at whoi.edu>
To: "MBL Classifieds" <classifieds at lists.mbl.edu>
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 11:00:08 AM
Subject: Woods Hole folk concert Sunday, Feb. 28

Friends of WHFMS -

Debra Cowan and The Vox Hunters are performing at the Woods Hole Folk Music Society concert on this Sunday, February 28, at Woods Hole Community Hall. Many of you know that when Debra Cowan performs at WHFMS concerts, it is often with her good friend John Roberts. Since John is unable to join Debra this year, she has invited an exciting new duo - The Vox Hunters! Read about them below and take a look at their (fun) bios on their website. We are in for a real treat!

Following a life-long desire to sing and perform, Debra Cowan left her job as a California middle school math teacher in 1997 and went to live in Edinburgh, Scotland for six months. In Scotland, she learned the art of un-accompanied singing and, upon her return to the USA in 1998, she began traveling all over New England performing at open mike concerts. Almost two decades later, Ms. Cowan is an accomplished full-time performer bridging the old and new with a refreshing stage presence. She tours extensively in the United Kingdom and in North America and has released four full-length recordings, all of which have earned praise on both sides of the Atlantic. Between travels, she makes her home near Worcester, Massachusetts with her husband and their two cats, Hazel n’ Herman. Dave Palmater of WUMB Boston says “Debra is an emotionally powerful performer; just close your eyes and one of her ballads comes alive.”.

Armand Aromin and Benedict Gagliardi are The Vox Hunters. They share a love of traditional Irish music as well as eclectic songs from in and outside the realm of folk music. With hand-crafted fiddle, concertina, and banjo, The Vox Hunters present an array of driving dance tunes and an unorthodox collection of songs. They like to say, "We don't aim to fuse genres, push boundaries, or redefine folk music. We simply sing songs we like in exactly the way we like to sing them . . . and allow our ears a long musical leash."

Together, Debra Cowan and the Vox Hunters will present toe-tapping tunes and a variety of songs with plenty of opportunities to join in on choruses. Bring your friends, family and voices and get ready for a great evening! If you'd like to bring some goodies to share at intermission, we'd appreciate it! Doors open at 7:00 PM, concert at 7:30PM.

For more info, see: DebraCowan.com and thevoxhunters.com

Margaret Sulanowska
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
McLean Bldg. 201, MS #8
266 Woods Hole Rd.