[Physiofaculty] Physiology course Field Trip June 18

Marshall, Wallace Wallace.Marshall at ucsf.edu
Mon Jun 8 23:42:06 EDT 2015

Dear Physiology Students,
    We have had a cancellation from one of our invited morning lecturers.  Boo.    But, we have taken advantage of this hole in the lecture schedule to arrange a unique opportunity for the class.   On June 18, the thursday of the Bootcamp week, instead of having a morning lecture we will be going on a Field trip, on the Research Vessel Gemma,  which is operated by the MBL and specializes in collecting marine biological samples for research and education.   We will be using some of the amazing organisms that these guys collect during our course, and this field trip will give you all the chance to see how the collection is done, first hand.    Most people will never in their lives get to set foot on a boat like this, so this should be of great interest, plus it is a great chance for us to learn more about biology in the wild, not just what grows in a culture dish.   This is as real as it gets people!
        Because the boat is not gigantic, it can't hold the whole class, so we have divided the students into two groups and we'll do two trips, one after the other.   The schedule of who is on which trip is in the attached file.    Please go with your assigned group so that we can keep track of who is going when.

if you want to see what the Gemma is like take a look at this video:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CUalwzjJMs

     regards,
           Rob, Jennifer, and Wallace

p.s.  bootcamp faculty you are more than welcome to join in the field trips if you so desire!