[PhysioStudents] Physiology 2018 -- Slack to communicate?

Phillips, Robert B. phillips at pboc.caltech.edu
Wed May 16 18:15:15 EDT 2018

Dear all,

Let me add my greetings to all of you.  It will be so great to spend the
summer with you at MBL!  I wanted to alert you to our first event
which is on the first Sunday evening at 5pm we will have “Lightning
Talks” in which each of you will have 90 seconds to give a talk
based upon a single slide that tells us something along the lines of
who you are, where you are from, what you are excited about,
what kinds of things you work on, etc. Tall order for 90 seconds, I know.
The procedure is that I need a single pdf from you by noon on that
first Sunday.  I will send out a reminder email as the date gets closer.
Clarice has a great plan.  However, if history is our teacher, you will likely
want to get a Slack channel going that only includes you students.
I am quite close to a number of last year’s students, for example,
and still see them chatting all the time, but about topics from
which JLS, Wallace and I are excluded!  Suzy, Daniel and Roya
(three of the 27 of you) can tell you about my own misadventures last
summer with such social media!

Anyway, it will be great to see you soon.  For those of you that are swimmers,
we often go to the “MBL Pool” (i.e. Buzzard’s Bay) each afternoon.  At the very
beginning of the summer, a short wetsuit can be useful.

Best,
Rob

Rob Phillips
Fred and Nancy Morris Professor of Biophysics and Biology
1200 E. California Blvd.
159 Broad / 114-96
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA 91125