[Xenopus] Xenopus CSH course 2015

Khokha, Mustafa mustafa.khokha at yale.edu
Mon Dec 1 18:03:18 EST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to ask for your assistance to promote the 2015 Xenopus Course at Cold Spring Harbor. As many of you know, the Xenopus course at CSH has a long tradition of training the next generation of Xenopus researchers in critical skills to exploit Xenopus for understanding cell and developmental biology.

In addition to the traditional skills taught in the Xenopus course, this year, we hope to emphasize two approaches: disease gene modeling and biological imaging.  We plan to ask students for genes of interest, help them design CRISPR targeting constructs, and phenotype embryos to simulate human diseases such as congenital malformations.

In addition, we have the good fortune of overlapping with the Quantitative Imaging (QI) course at CSH. We plan to build interactions between our groups to image Xenopus embryos using the latest imaging methods. To this end, we have co-invited Scott Fraser and will have formal opportunities to interact with QI.

Finally, we hope to tailor the course for 1) students totally new to Xenopus and 2) students already skilled in Xenopus that are interested in starting their own labs or building additional skills.

We have an exciting list of confirmed speakers/instructors including:

Helene Cousin
Lance Davidson
Heithem El-Hodiri
Scott Fraser
Rebecca Heald
Ray Keller
Marc Kirschner
Rachel Miller
Nancy Papalopulu
John Wallingford

A list of topics to be covered is at the end of this email.
Please distribute to any and all students that might be interested.
Applications are due Jan 31, 2015
For more information and application submission, please visit:
http://meetings.cshl.edu/courses/2015/c-xeno15.shtml

Thanks,
Mustafa Khokha, Yale University
Karen Liu, King’s College, London

Course objectives:
microinjection, microdissection, and grafts - Organizer, animal cap, neural crest and more
in situ hybridization
immunohistochemistry
CRISPR and MO loss of function.
Imaging, microscopy methods, and fluorescence - movies, photography and figure design
transgenesis
Setting up a frog lab - aquatics and microinjection setups/microscopy