[Xenopus] Draft of the 2014 Xenopus White Paper

National Xenopus Resource xenopus at mbl.edu
Wed Jan 29 08:51:20 EST 2014

Dear Colleagues

A draft of the 2014 Xenopus White Paper is now available on Xenbase.

http://www.xenbase.org/entry/doNewsRead.do?id=108

The white paper was written based on discussions from the PI meeting held at the MBL in Woods Hole in August 2013. This White Paper highlights recent contributions of Xenopus research to the NIH’s mission, identifies emerging opportunities for the Xenopus system and outlines the Xenopus community’s priorities for further NIH support. Based on the consensus from the meeting the prioritized needs of the community were:

1. Renewal of the National Xenopus Resource center (NXR)

2. Renewal of Xenbase the Xenopus bioinformatics database

3. Xenopus genome improvement

4. Functional characterization of the genome – in vivo ENCODE

5. Enhancement of transgenic resources

6. Improvement of Xenopus antibody resources

7. Improve Genome Editing Resources (TALEN/CRISPR) in Xenopus

8. Enhance the use of Xenopus to model human disease

Click on the following link to download a draft of the 2014 white paper:

http://www.xenbase.org/community/static/xenopuswhitepaper/2014/Xenopus_White_Paper_2014_draft.doc

Please comment on the 2014 Xenopus White paper:

At this time we ask for input from all members of the Xenopus research community. We welcome all suggestions and comments – this is your opportunity to describe community resource that best advance your research. If you make any edits to the word document please keep the "tracking" function on. Please send you comments to Xenopus at mbl.edu by February 17th.

Please sign the 2014 Xenopus White paper:

In order for the White paper to be effective at the NIH it is important that it broadly represents the views of the community. If the White Paper recommendations would benefit your research, we urge you to become a signatory by emailing Xenopus at mbl.edu with your name and NIH grant numbers. It is critical to have as many people as possible signed on to this White Paper as it will be distributed to the NIH. If you dissent from the views of the white paper tell us why and what could be changed to make you reconsider.

Once all comments are received we will then create a final version of the White Paper with all names of individuals who signed onto the grant, which will be posted on Xenbase and sent via Xine.

Many Thanks

Marko Horb, MBL Woods Hole

Aaron Zorn, Cincinnati Children’s