[Xenopus] 8th Aquatic Models of Human Disease Conference

National Xenopus Resource xenopus at mbl.edu
Fri Aug 5 09:50:23 EDT 2016

Dear Xenopus community,
I am forwarding an email regarding the 8th Aquatic Models of Human Disease Conference that is being held Jan 2017 at the University of Alabama, Birmingham as I thought this might interest some of you. I have attended and will attend this conference and it is a small meeting focused on multiple aquatic models.

Sincerely,

marko horb

Dear colleagues,

I would like to bring your attention to a conference being hosted at the University of Alabama at Birmingham with special interest in aquatic animal models of human disease. The 8th Aquatic Animal Models of Human Disease Conference will take place January 7 -12, 2017 at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel adjacent to UAB campus in Birmingham, AL USA.

The Aquatic Models Conference (AQMHD) is not dedicated to any one animal or model, but instead provides a unique forum for presentation of a wide array of aquatics models, each having attributes that make them useful in addressing complex research questions. This meeting is designed to promote research collaborations, highlight opportunities, and encourage use of aquatic models for the study of human disease.

The 8th edition of this conference boasts a program of established national and international scientists employing contemporary technologies and in addition remains firm in its commitment to encourage presentations allowing for more junior scientists, post doctoral associates, and graduate students.

The AQMHD meeting will include symposium presentations (non-concurrent format), exhibits, poster sessions, and workshops that highlight recent developments in the field. Several networking opportunities are included in the program schedule and some social events are currently being planned. A closing banquet will feature an informative and exciting keynote address to be given by Dr. Paul Katz from the Neuroscience Institute at Georgia State University. Attached you will find a brochure detailing the meeting.

This conference will be of interest to those who are currently using aquatic models in research and those interested in employing aquatic models in their health related research. I invite you to register now and get your abstract in early! Our session chairs may fill their sessions as abstracts arrive. We have blocked off rooms at the DoubleTree giving a special rate for meeting participants, but the rooms are limited.

I invite you to block off January 7 -12, 2017 on your calendar and register at https://www.uab.edu/aqmhd /

Abstract submission deadline: October 1 , 2016

Room registration deadline: December 19 , 2016

We look forward to seeing you in Alabama! Until then, best wishes to you and yours.

Peggy R. Biga, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, Department of Biology

Associate Scientist, Nutrition Obesity Research Center

Associate Scientist, Comprehensive Diabetes Center

Scientist, Comprehensive Center for Healthy Aging

University of Alabama at Birmingham

Birmingham, AL 35294-1170, USA

aqmhd8 at uab.edu

If the NXR contributed to your work please cite us in your papers.

Cite us in the acknowledgements: National Xenopus Resource RRID:SCR_013731

Cite us in your references: Pearl, E. et al "Development of Xenopus resource centers: the National Xenopus Resource and the European Xenopus Resource Center" Genesis 50, 155-163

Marko Horb, Ph.D.
Director, National Xenopus Resource (NXR)
Marine Biological Laboratory
7 MBL Street
Woods Hole, MA 02543

Email: xenopus at mbl.edu