[Xenopus] Problems with HCG

Caroline McKeown cmckeown at scripps.edu
Fri Oct 14 12:02:01 EDT 2022

Hi Richard,
A few years ago we had trouble getting Sigma hCG so I priced out all the available options. We landed on Chorulon which costs about $4 per laevis mating pair vs Sigma which was $13 per mating pair. We also occasionally used the Harbor-UCLA NHPP (National Hormone and Protein production) which was even cheaper at $2.75 per mating pair (laevis), but they don't always have it (but they always have leutinizing hormone which is even cheaper and works too). Recently California put hCG on the DEA list so now we only buy Chorulon through our institutional vet. It works consistently well in laevis.
Hope that helps,
Caroline

Caroline R. McKeown, Ph.D.
Sr. Staff Scientist