[Xenopus] Planning Jamboree 2.0

Leon Peshkin peshkin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:17:46 EDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,

      Many people indicated their interest in Jamboree 2.0 which is great.

At this point, I have submitted a proposal to HHMI Janelia to host (and
fund at least in part) our next Jamboree - we are waiting to hear back. If
funded, the likely date will be in the Fall 2023.

Meanwhile, I'd like to get some sense for who would be interested and able
to participate if we did not get funded, but rather ran this as a paid
workshop at the MBL. Nothing solid - we are just exploring at this point.

Depending on timing and number of participants the cost would be likely
$1500-$2500 per person for 5-6 days. There will be a training component on
dissociation protocols and demonstrations of several droplet-based options.
We'd then get adult and embryo samples, dissect, dissociate, QC, barcode,
and so on ...

You are welcome to suggest your own dev stage/tissue sample to be used,
with the caveat that you would only work on "controls" during the Jamboree
(i.e. not mutants / perturbations). Depending on the interest the barcoding
and sequencing costs for these samples will be covered by the R24 grant.

If you want to work on some perturbation/mutant you would either pay a
separate visit to the NXR or we might still accommodate your workflow into
the Jamboree provided there is room, but not pay the barcoding/sequencing
costs.

Please respond directly to me indicating whether you would be interested to
participate at a cost, who would come - you or a post-doc/student what
sample would you want to use and which dates  you prefer, anything else
related. Depending on MBL availability the dates could be in the late
Spring, or the Fall 2023.

regards

  -Leon Peshkin

P.S.  I hope everyone at this point is aware of the common SLACK space
"Xenopus Community". If not - ask to get invited ... A good way to discuss
the issues.