[Classifieds] [classifieds] Oceans concert in Falmouth (May 26)

MBL Classifieds classifieds at lists.mbl.edu
Tue May 25 13:33:20 EDT 2010

MARITIME DAYS IN FALMOUTH

The Cape Cod Maritime Days celebration comes to Falmouth, on Wednesday night, May 26th, with a special and unusual gathering....There will be a free concert with folk singer Jim Scott.

This event will start at 7:00 pm, at the Unitarian Universalist church in Falmouth. The church is located at 840 Sandwich Road. All people are invited. The building is easily accessible.

Jim Scott has been involved with environmental protection work for many years. As a guitarist for the Paul Winter Consort, he was a co-composer of the Consort's great choral worker, "The Missa Gaia/Earth Mass."

Mr. Scott toured Nicaragua with singer Holly Near and he performed in Australia for colleges and the Institute for Earth Education. Several of Jim's songs are well-known to environmentalists.

The May 26th concert will include some traditional New England maritime songs and there will be some singalongs.... However: We'll try something that's unusual for Cape Cod and the Massachusetts islands.... Jim Scott experiments with Celtic, Latin, African, and Caribbean rhythms, as he celebrates the oceans and islands of the world....This will be a multicultural event to help save the oceans.

The Sierra Club's Cape Cod and Islands Group will join the gathering to provide some information about coastal and oceans issues. We'll try to respond to the question, "How can we protect our saltwater environment?" What's needed to protect coastal communities?

It's a free concert. Everybody is invited! For additional information, please call the church office.
Telephone: (508) 457-0449.

(submitted by Bob Murphy.)