[Xenopus] X. tropicalis, fertilized but no cleavage

Nakayama, Takuya (tn8t) tn8t at virginia.edu
Thu Oct 22 15:15:59 EDT 2020

Hi Richard,

I have experienced the similar situation, and it could also be due to “bad” sperms, i.e., they may have activated eggs so that you can see pigment contraction but no fertilization actually happened.  When I changed a male (i.e., used new testes), the same eggs could be fertilized. If you happen to have laevis eggs when you use trop, you can also test if those sperms make laevis eggs fertilized (cleaved), then you can tell if the problem is bad eggs or bad sperms.
Thanks.

Takuya