[Physiofaculty] 3 other pieces of equipment I am bringing into the course, may be useful to others.

Ethan Garner egarner at g.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 21 09:51:14 EDT 2015

Dear phyio faculty.

I will be bringing a few extra pieces of equipment into the course, and
figured a few of you (Nicole, Allison, Jennifer, and Wallace especially)
might be interested.
(so, let me know if these are of use, and how we could synergize / prepare).

1. I will be bringing the updated version of the electroporator from
Bulldog bio.  This machine apparently can get DNA into many creatures,
including Diatoms, many bacteria etc.
So, any of you into exotic bacteria /protists, euks, if you have constructs
to test transfection, please bring them along. I will have broad range
promoters for the prokaryotic kingdom.

2. I also will be bringing a phase holographic imaging scope, this gets Z
information from the difference in the index of refraction of cells vs
media.  This gives volume,  density. Mazing for cell tracking of motile
cells, and also and large surface imaging of communities.  (see the
attached image of a growing bacterial colony front).

[image: Inline image 1]

3. Matt Paszek will be coming up to build a Scanning angle Microscope,which
gives ~5nm resolution in Z (for fluorescence) with fast time acquisition.
(his papers attached, if you don't know the technique)

Ethan Garner  - egarner at g.harvard.edu
Assistant Professor @ Harvard
Molecular and Cellular Biology /  Center for Systems Biology

*Please contact me via digital means rather than analog.*
*To schedule a meeting:  *  http://meetme.so/EthanGarner
*Website*                              http://garnerlab.fas.harvard.edu